The stretch of railway that was damaged by a derailment in South London last week is currently being repaired.
However, even though it’s hoped all repairs will be done ready for tomorrow morning, commuters are asked to check before they leave.
Since the accident last week, engineers have been at the site around the clock in order to have the track ready to accept scheduled routes by Monday. Over 50 metres of track were affected by the derailment, which occurred last Tuesday in the early hours of the morning.
According to network rail, they had to remove 30 tonnes of sand which had been shed at the site. The original train had two large wagons full of building sand.
View from the repair site
Andy Derbyshire the chief operating officer said: “It has been a difficult week for passengers on our railway and I’m very conscious of how patient everyone has been while we repair the line.
“Our teams have been working around the clock to rebuild the damaged section and we are on target to get commuter trains running as normal on Monday morning. However, it’s a big job and we are advising commuters to check before they travel on Monday.”
Southeastern rail are currently offer twice the delay compensation, but only for passengers who were delayed more than 30 minutes.
David Statham, managing director at Southeastern, said: “We know the freight train derailment this week caused our passengers a great deal of inconvenience. We’ve done all we can to keep people moving, but the line closures heavily hit our services.
“Network Rail engineers have been working around the clock to get the freight train moved and the track fixed. Their hard work means the reopening of the railway is on target and this will allow us to run normal services again at the start of next week. I would to thank our passengers for their patience and ask them to please check before they travel on Monday morning.”
For the latest information, passengers are advised to check with National Rail Enquiries or Southeastern at southeasternrailway.co.uk.